Back to the old fashioned! Vanilla butter cake with fluffy texture. Recipe attached.
Vanilla Butter Cake
230gm butter (salted), softened
200gm eggs, no shell (4 grade B eggs)
50gm + 150gm sugar (I reduced it due to my unsweetened taste😉)
200gm self raising flour, sifted.
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven at 180C (conventional). (I only use 160C). Prepare a 8 inch square pan. Line the base and grease the sides (greasing helps the cake’s sides to rise well)
2. Separate the eggs, and place the whites into a medium sized bowl (6 cup capacity). Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 50gm sugar and beat until stiff. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and 150gm sugar until pale and fluffy (KA speed 2-4 ). Put in vanilla extract and and beat for a while. Put in egg yolks one by one and beat well after each addition.
4. Put in half the flour and mix on low speed until incorporated. Put in milk in 2 additions and mix until well incorporated. Mix in balance of flour.
5. Put half the egg whites in and mix on low speed. Pour the balance of egg whites in and FOLD.
6. Pour batter into pan and level.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. (I covered with aluminium foil for the last 15mins bcoz don’t wanna burn the top)
*Note: I did step 2 and 3 simultaneously. Butter in the hand mixer and egg whites with the stand mixer.